Cambian Wing College – Update as of 3rd July
College Status - Open
17 - Number of students currently at home with parents / guardian
17 - Students currently in a residential placement
25 - Students currently attending college
At Cambian Wing College, the education team have implemented a comprehensive network of online and more transitional learning in the following ways:
- Set up Adobe Connect and Moodle to allow all teachers to regularly upload relevant resources for students, parents and carers to access in order to support set tasks and encourage independent learning. A bank of physical resources and associated tasks have been sent to each student’s home address
- Bespoke learning tasks are shared with each student for completion. When finished the student work can either be uploaded and returned to the subject teacher for marking, feedback and assessment from the individual teacher or a 1:1 online feedback session arranged
- Teachers at Cambian Wing College have also set up a timetable of 1:1 and small group teaching delivered via Zoom and other online group platforms. These are supported with the appropriate safeguarding mechanisms and protocols
The education team are in contact with each student on a weekly basis* to check on their welfare and understand how to best progress their personalised learning. All teachers have access to their Cambian emails at home. This means that all students and parents can email them directly if they require any specific resources, guidance or further input*Weekly calls and face to face online contact are also carried out by CWC’s Residential Care Teams and the Therapy department
Other comments / notes
Thank you for your continued support at this time of uncertainty. We, like you, are finding our way and adjusting to the ‘new’ world in the face of Covid19.
Whilst all of our schools have remained open, some parents / guardians taken the decision to keep your young people safe at home. This has enabled us to focus on those young people who were not in a position to go home and be cared for by family. We have been able to continue to offer support to all students and families, whether at school or not. We have been able to provide ‘virtual lessons’ or distance learning opportunities and remote therapeutic support. If you would like some support or have ideas about services you think we could offer, please do not hesitate in getting in touch.
We are planning for our schools and colleges to remain open and that our Day and Termly Students will return soon. What we are unable to do, at this time, is be clear about the timing of this. There are a number of factors that we have to consider.
- Whilst the government announced an initial three week period of encouraged self-isolation and social distancing, we understand that depending on the impact of this initiative this period will be extended.
- To support the safe return of students we need to be sure that we have a staffing cohort who are well and able to provide the requisite care for the students at school.
- We will want to minimise the likelihood of infection within our schools / college, and aside from staff working, we want to minimise other school visitors and ONLY allow all people (staff, students and limited visitors) to the school who are well.
In order for us to plan most effectively, we would ask you to support us with the following:
- You should confirm your intentions regarding the return of your child.
We understand that you may well wish to keep your child home and continue to work with us remotely. We will provide support for those who may wish to do this.
Once we have these numbers, we will be able to better assess whether we have sufficient, well staff to safely return your child to school. We are currently gathering staff information daily which helps us to understand this position and for the next seven days. If through illness, staffing level change and impact the ability to support the safe return of your child we will contact you immediately.
- When considering whether to return your child, we ask that your child and your household MUST NOT have exhibited any symptoms of Covid 19 in the seven days before the potential return of your child. If over the holiday period your family have been in self-isolation these details and timings will be required to be shared.
- On return to school, you be asked to complete a health declaration to confirm to the best of your knowledge that your child is fit and safe to return to school.
We hope this is a sensible and pragmatic approach to the current situation, we feel that this will allow us to continue to manage these exceptional circumstances effectively and safely.
If you require further details regarding this update then please do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org