Read about the success stories and positive outcomes we've had including student's achievements
At Cambian Devon School we offer a bespoke curriculum specifically tailored to promote student success and progression.
Our curriculum aims to:
• Enable all students to learn and develop their skills to the best of their ability.
• Promote a positive attitude towards learning, so that students enjoy coming to school, and acquire a solid basis for lifelong learning.
• Enable students to be creative and to develop their own thinking.
• Enable students to be positive citizens in society.
• Help students understand the importance of truth and fairness, so that they grow up committed to equal opportunities for all.
• Enable students to have respect for themselves and high self-esteem, and to be able to live and work co-operatively with others.
• Support students to become confident individuals who are physically, emotionally and socially healthy.
• Provide students with the opportunity to be responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society and embrace change.
• Engage students in managing risk positively together with their own wellbeing.
Our Project Compass campus at Buckfastleigh is our vocational centre. Project Compass aims to work with students to make tangible links to more academic forms of study through a broad subject offer. Project Compass offers a range of subjects with pathways from KS2 through to qualifications in KS4 and KS5. The curriculum offer at Project Compass includes: Catering, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Forest School, Farm School, Computing and Project based learning.
We actively promote opportunities for students to take part in a wide range of experiences that broaden their skills and knowledge through educational activities and trips, personal projects, community activities, work experience and volunteering opportunities both on and off site. Students have taken part in tailored workshops from external speakers, outdoor education experiences, first aid training and team building exercises delivered by skilled providers as well as our own team. Students are encouraged to make positive contributions to the wider world and society throughout the school year including volunteering at a local homeless shelter and taking part in community litter picking. Subjects across the curriculum offer school trips and extra-curricular opportunities as part of their curriculum offer.
Devon School are very proud of our well-established careers provision, we offer a range of activities, support mechanisms, specialist advice sessions, and volunteering and work experience opportunities. Our personalised approach begins in Year 10 and continues throughout the student’s time here. We work with local businesses, sole-traders, independent advisers, further education providers, prospective employers, local council, and guest speakers alongside attending numerous events and trips to help students gain a well-rounded view of the potential pathways they may like to explore. For our pupils with special or specific needs, we ensure a bespoke programme of guidance and additional support when required.
Mind of my Own
Devon School also use Mind of My Own, an app allowing our young people to communicate with us through their phone or tablet giving them the confidence to express their thoughts wishes and feelings directly with us. For those that struggle with communication the 'Mind Of My Own' app offers them an alternative option and is a tool to assist with structuring their thoughts and feelings via preloaded scenarios.